Timeline of Stirling City, CA

1876 Sierra Flume and Lumber Co. formed. This company used 1563 miles of flume to transport lumber to the valley.
1878 Sierra Flume reorganized under the name of Sierra Lumber Company.
1881 The Barber Match Co. of Ohio had joined with 11 other match companies to form a conglomerate, Diamond Match Company.
1901 John Heard Comstock, an employee of Diamond Match, arrived in Chico in June to appraise timberland for the company. Diamond Match purchases approximately 70,000 acres of timberland from Sierra Lumber Company and other sources.
1902 Fred M. Clough, Diamond’s first Pacific Coast manager, selected a site for a sawmill twelve miles above Paradise (present Stirling City). Clough named the town “Stirling City” for The Stirling City Company, and Ohio based boiler manufacturing firm controlled by O.C. Barber. This company furnished the boilers for the sawmill powerhouse. In October, Diamond purchased 241 acres south of Chico for development of manufacturing plant. The Chico facility was named Barber in honor of O.C. Barber.
1903 Construction begins on the railroad line connecting Barber to Magalia. Butte County Railroad Company formed. On April 20, construction of the sawmill and town building at Stirling City begins.
1904 Railroad line reaches Stirling City. Stirling City Sawmill begins operations.
1906 Match factory completed and in operation at Barber facility.
1907 Diamond Match Co. purchases the remaining 93,000 acres and Red Bluff mill from Sierra Lumber Co.
1908 Veneer plant completed and in operation at Barber plant. Diamond becomes the first manufacturer of Plywood in California.
1909 Edward R. Stettinius succeed O.C. Barber as president of Diamond Match Co.
1910 In ten years, Chico’s population increases by 7000 to 11,775 due to expansion by Diamond Match Company.
1915 Butte County Railroad operation turned over to Southern Pacific Railroad. William Fairburns succeed Stettinius as president of Diamond Match Co.
1922 Frank A. “Comp” Comption becomes logging and sawmill superintendent at Stirling City sawmill.
1929 Richard A. “Dick” Colgan becomes logging and sawmill superintendent at Stirling City sawmill.
1931 Fire ravages three square blocks in Stirling City.
1932 Diamond starts trucking lumber directly from Stirling City to Chico.
1942 Production and output increases the World War 11 needs.
1953 Lyman Springs Mill completed and in operation.
1957 Red Bluff mill completed and in operation. Diamond Match Company merged with Gardner Board and Carlton Company Changing the corporate name to diamond Gardner Corporation.
1958 Stirling City Mill closes on January 31. Logging superintendent Dana Bailey retires.
1959 Stirling City Mill lost to fire during demolition. Diamond Gardner and Unites States Printing & Lithograph company merge to form the Diamond Nation Corporation.
1964 Small electric sawmill (stud mill) completed and in operation in Stirling City. Diamond was organized into a holding company and named Diamond International Corporation.
1974 Stud Mill closed in Stirling City.
1975 Chico Match factory closes
1977 Dana Bailey Plantation established in Stirling City. Diamond commits to intensive tree planting program in burned over areas.
1980 Sir James Goldsmith purchased Diamond International and names the company Diamond Lands Corporation.
1985 Domestic water flume system for Stirling city was decommissioned.
1988 Roseburg Resource Company (Roseburg, Oregon) purchased Diamond Lands Corporation.
1992 Sierra Pacific Industries (Anderson, CA) purchased Diamond Lands Corporation from Roseburg Resource Company.
2003 Stirling City turns 100 years old.
Sources: Matches, Flumes and Rails – by : Kent Stephens, 1977
Stirling & Lassen District Employees 1978-2003, Sierra Pacific Industries